In today’s society, I’m wondering what people really think about what the holiday “Thanksgiving” means. It’s not about the pilgrims anymore. Just ask any kid and they’ve probably forgotten or have never been taught about the history except by traditional – moralistic parents such as mine.
I don’t anymore. Is it “politically correct” to teach our kids the real meaning of Thanksgiving? Or…has that been one of those things thrown out with the nativity set and saying “Merry Christmas?” You tell me.
While there are many traditional values that go along with Thanksgiving; turkey – stuffing – football etc., that really doesn’t define Thanksgiving either.
For those Income Insider’s readers that follow us, you all know that I have a problem with the direction of our country…and world. Thanksgiving is probably not any different.
I’m sure just like any other holiday with special meaning, there are people somewhere on this planet that will be offended for whatever reason…that’s just the selfish world we live in.
So this post today is all about what the real meaning of Thanksgiving should be about…at least too me.
What Is Thanksgiving?
You know, I’ve actually heard people say they have nothing to be thankful for. How in the hell is that even possible? Really?
I give thanks each and every day for stuff most probably don’t even think about. While it may sound stupid to some, I actually am thankful for things like soap – water – hot coffee – lights etc.. Because without them, well, life wouldn’t be very comfortable I guess and in addition…how many people around the world do not have the luxury of these small things?
So…my answer back to the so called people who say, “I really don’t have anything to be thankful for, my life sucs” I ask them this:
- Did you wake up this morning? Because some people didn’t.
- Do you have a Mom or Dad? Because some of us don’t.
- Are you in the hospital having life-or-death surgery? Because some are.
- Do you have a roof over your head – clothes on your back and shoes on your feet? Because some don’t.
- Is your belly full? Because some aren’t.
- Are you going thirsty? Because some are.
- Do you have a car or other transportation? Because some don’t.
- Do you have a husband – wife – girlfriend – boyfriend? Because many are alone.
- Do you have eyes too see and ears to hear? Because many don’t.
- Can you talk and express yourself? Because some can’t.
- Are you walking from place to place? Some can’t.
- Are you enjoying all the freedoms God gave you? Because some aren’t.
- Are you warm? Because too many are not.
- Do you have a family? Many do not.
- Do you have a job? Because lots do not.
- Do you have children? Not everyone is blessed with them.
- Are you happy and content? Because many are depressed and anxious.
- And this list can go on and on and on…
However, the real meaning is this; If it wasn’t for Jesus Christ dying on the cross to save us, we couldn’t be thankful for a whole lot. So keep that in mind this Thanskgiving day, would you?
And it shouldn’t be just on Thanksgiving day that we remind ourselves of all the blessings we truly have. Make an attempt to be thankful everyday.
So. Here’s my challenge to ANYBODY: If you think you have nothing to be thankful for, leave a comment below and tell me about it. Seriously. I’d like to hear it.
But here’s the kicker: If you seriously think you have absolutely nothing to be thankful for….well, you just blew it.
If you can leave a comment, you can read and type…and many people cannot. That’s something to be thankful for!
I’d like to wish everyone a very safe and happy Thanksgiving, especially our fine troops and their families. God Bless You!
Leave a comment about what Thanksgiving means too you…