Good day to Income Insiders readers…and I mean really good day due to it being Friday the 13th!
I’ve never been much for superstition, although I find it to be rather fascinating. Especially since I dug up some weird facts surrounding this partnership between the day Friday and the number 13.
I never knew that so many people have friday the 13th superstitions and are; apt to be more nervous – won’t go to work – won’t drive – have full blown panic attacks or just stay inside hoping for this evil day to end. This phobia as its called “paraskevidekatriaphobia” is devastating to approximately 17 to 21 million people according to Dr. Donald Dossey, a psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of phobias.
If he’s right, no fewer than eight percent of Americans remain in the grips of a very old superstition…
Now on the flip side of that, many people embrace all the scary movies – witches – warlocks that come out around that time – feeding into their emotions…Some can’t get enough of it.
Out of all the facts and stats I uncovered, there is actually one that is said to be POSITIVE…It’s about your MONEY! (I’ll get to that in a second…)
Okay readers, here are some weird things about this ghastly day, Friday the 13th.
Friday has been an ominous day for a very long time, and in many varied cultures. It has been held to be both unlucky and as a day when evil influences are at work.
In Ancient Rome, Friday was execution day.
From the Christian Bible:
– Friday is reputed to be the day Eve gave Adam the apple.
– It is said to be the day Adam & Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden.
– Friday is also reputed to be the day they (Adam & Eve) died.
– The Great Flood is supposed to have started on a Friday.
– God was said to have struck the builders of the Towel of Babel and created the confusion of many tongues, on a Friday.
– The Temple of Solomon was destroyed on a Friday.
– Christ was crucified and died on a Friday.
In Britain, Friday was customarily Hanging Day.
It is said accidents are more common on Fridays, however, that may be more because Friday is the end of the work week and people are hurrying to get away from work, than any sinister reasons.
Other superstitions concerning Friday include:
– Clothing made on a Friday will never fit properly.
– Visiting your doctor on Friday will not have a good result.
– Never change your bed on a Friday, as it will result in nightmares and bad dreams.
– One should not move their residence or marry on a Friday, if they expect any good to come of it.
– Cut your nails on Friday and you cut them for sorrow.
– Ill news received on a Friday will etch wrinkles in the face of the recipient, more so than the same news received on any other day.
– Friday is an inauspicious day to start a trip as “misfortune will bound to follow.”
– Ships that set sail on Friday will have bad luck. ~ This superstition is supported by the Urban legend of the H.M.S. Friday.
Now the Superstitious Number 13:
– There are thirteen steps leading to the gallows.
– There are thirteen knots in a hangman’s noose.
– It is thirteen feet the blade of a guillotine falls.
– There were thirteen people at the last supper.
– Lizzy Borden was said to have spoken only thirteen words at her trial.
– There were thirteen original colonies.
– Ancient Romans regarded the number thirteen as a symbol of death, destruction and misfortune.
– The thirteenth card in a Tarot deck is “Death” often pictured as the Grim Reaper (a skeleton, often in a hooded cape, carrying a scythe). It should be noted however, that the Death card is rarely if ever read as “death” but as transition, change or new beginnings.
– The driver of Princess Diana’s vehicle hit pillar #13 at Place de l’Alma when she was killed in Paris, France.
– Apollo 13. In 1970, the thirteenth mission was to be launched from pad #39 (13 x 3). The mission was aborted, after an explosion occurred in the fuel cell of their service module. The rocket had left launching pad at 13:13 CST and the date was April 13th.
The first person to die in a car accident was killed in New York City on Sept. 13, 1899.
The British Navy is notoriously afraid of Friday the 13th. Nonetheless, it built a ship named Friday the 13th. On its maiden voyage, the vessel left dock on a Friday the 13th and was never heard from again.
Many hospitals have no room 13. Some tall buildings have no 13th floor. The numbers on the rooms and elevators jump from 12 to 14.
Quarterback Dan Marino wore No. 13 throughout his career with the Miami Dolphins. Marino is said to be the best quarterback who never won a Super Bowl.
Butch Cassidy was born on Friday, April 13, 1866.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt would not travel on the 13th day of any month and would never host 13 guests at a meal.
Let’s put them together…Friday the 13th:
The Stress Management Center Phobia Institute lists the following Friday the 13th statistics:
– It is estimated that $750 million are lost in business on Friday the 13th because some people will not travel, shop, or leave their homes at all.
– Symptoms of people with a phobia of this day can range from “mild anxiety and a nagging sense of doom to full blown panic attacks.”
Now listen to this one…The only positive aspect to be found for the day is in an old folklore tradition concerning MONEY. It’s said that if immediately upon waking, you turn over the money in your purse (or wallet I suppose,) and you’ll have plenty of money until the next Friday the 13th (taking place in January 2012).
You betcha I’ll be trying that one out! Can’t hurt to give it a try right?
Have any weird things happened to you on Friday the 13th? Leave them below…