At any given point of time in 24 hours, there are 3,000,000 people online searching the Internet for relevant information. North America, Europe, Asia and Africa are the four countries with the highest population of Internet users. And in the last ten years, Africa and the Middle East has had the highest growth in terms of Internet usage and availability (Internet World Stats).
According to the search patterns of online users, search engines like Google and Yahoo rank ‘keywords’ used by website owners and Internet marketers to produce relevant content containing those keywords.
In the world of Internet marketing, earnings from paid advertisements has become a reliable source of income for thousands.
If not millionaires, there are people who can earn a reasonable $5000 monthly from Google AdSense and other equally competitive advertisement providers for search engine optimization. One such source of earning money from advertisements is Kontera.
Henit Vitos, Yoav Shaham and Assaf Henkin founded Kontera in 2003 and the company has financial backing from Sequoia Capital, Tenaya Capital and Carmel Ventures. Kontera is an evolving web platform that aims to provide relevant information to internet users “whenever and wherever the user is on – line” (Kontera Website). Its real – time Synapse Platform analyses current web trend and instantly reacts to user’s intent with relevant information and ads – this is the USP of Kontera ads.
Suppose you have a website that is search engine optimized, meaning you have used relevant keywords to rank the website better. Now, with AdSense what happens is that the advertisements are placed in the side bars or in between the content.
If the visitor finds an ad interesting, the visitor will click on it and be redirected to the advertiser’s site.
With Kontera, it works in a different way. Kontera ads do not require additional space for display as they follow what is called, In – Text Advertising program. This means the Synapse Platform recognizes keywords placed in your site content and then provides ads similar to the keyword.
For instance, if a particular article page on your website is about ‘making money online,’ the Kontera ads will be placed as inline text so that when the visitor hovers the mouse on the phrase ‘making money online,’ a small bubble will pop. If the visitor wants, he/she can click the bubble to find more information.
To make the information searching experience worthwhile and maintain flexibility and interaction with Internet users, the In – Text advertisements keep on changing in varying degrees.
Advantages of Kontera:
As a publisher with Kontera, you’ll get the following advantages:
- Qualified websites with over 25,000 visitors from the US get a bonus amount of $50 upon signing.
- Kontera gives its publishers 70% of the revenue earned.
- To fully utilize the relevance of the published content, Kontera makes use of its patented Story – Level Targeting strategy to deliver unmatched user experience and results.
- No changes to the website is necessary at all and the ads don’t take any additional space – it is all embedded within the content.
- Kontera works with WordPress, Blogger, Joomla and Drupal platforms.
- Their automatic reporting system gives you full details on the revenue earned.
Disadvantages of Kontera:
There are two primary disadvantages that go against the popularity enjoyed by Kontera:
- Kontera does not begin payout until you have reached the minimum 100 USD mark. If you are new with Kontera, it might take you three – four months to reach the minimum payout. However, you can speed up the process if your website receives a high amount of traffic daily.
- Kontera does not find favor with Internet users who dislike advertisement bubbles popping out in between the text because it distracts them and they lose interest in the website they are visiting. This is the reason why several Internet marketers will think twice before signing up with Kontera. After all, they don’t want to lose their traffic inflow.
Kontera vs. Google AdSense
Some advertisement publishers worry about violating Google’s TOC if they allow other advertisement providers on their website. There are rumors that Google bans such sites; however, that’s what it is…just a ‘rumor!’
Google does not have monopoly over advertisement publications and every website owner has the right to publish ads from whatever network they choose.
Therefore, it is perfectly fine to use Kontera if you are already using Google AdSense on your site. Just make sure your site does not seem too clogged with advertisements only.
Eligibility for Kontera Publisher Account and Rules for Maintaining It:
Kontera maintains strict application and maintenance rules, violation of which may lead to termination of the account permanently. Here are your basic eligibility criterion’s:
- If your website deals in eCommerce, automobile, computing and technology, education, employment, entertainment, finance, forums, gaming, health, lifestyle, men, real estate, relationships, social networking, small business, B2B, sports, travel and women, you are eligible to apply for publisher’s account.
- Your website should have more than 500,000 page impressions per month. However, there have been publishers whose account got accepted with much lesser per month impressions but don’t expect it will happen all the time.
- The primary language of your site should be English and each page should have at least 50 words of content.
- Your site should be active all the time and should not be used for domain parking. Moreover, every page of content published should be original and not refurbished from somewhere else.
- Your website is not eligible for a Kontera publishing account if you deal with any kind of illegal activity, pornography, excessive profanity, hate, racial discrimination, illicit drugs and drug paraphernalia.
- Adding of multiple websites to your existing Kontera publishing account is acceptable only after the support team has reviewed your website and approved it. In other words, you do not have the power to keep on adding website or blogs.
- Kontera keeps a tab on how you are using the account. If you click Kontera ads published on your own website, they will cancel your account permanently.
- It is a violation of Kontera TOC if you use other inline text ads along with Kontera. You can definitely use Google AdSense program since it does not have inline text ads but you have to stay away from other advertisers providing inline text advertising services.
With Kontera and AdSense published on your website, you double up your chances of generating a supplementary income. Both are Pay – Per – Click advertising programs and you get to earn a lot more than depending on any one kind of advertisement provider.
If you are still unsure, apply for Kontera here and check it out for two – three months; if it doesn’t work out, you can uninstall it easily. If it does, all is well and good!